I haven't even acknowledged my abject failure in the Tale of Duelling Gamers yet. The challenge finished at the end of September, and I failed to do anything about my quotas for the last 2 months. In August this was because I was completely focused on the Empire Ogres for Rumble, and then in September it was basically because I was burnt out from the previous month. So I only managed to paint Dwarfs for 4 of the 6 allotted months. In this regard, my efforts were a failure. In practical terms however, I did fine. My output for the 6 months was as follows:
- 20 Dwarf Slayers
- 27 Dwarf Quarrellers
- 11 Dwarf Thunderers
- 16 Dwarf Irondrakes
- 16 Dwarf Ironbreakers
- 12 Dwarf Miners
- 1 Dwarf Cannon
- 3 Dwarf characters
- 3 Ogre Leadbelchers
- 4 Ogre Bulls/Swordsmen
- 1 Ogre Ironblaster
- 5 Ogre Sabretusks
- 4 Ogre characters
- 1 Empire Captain to ride a Pegasus
If I managed that level of productivity every 6 months, I think I'd be pretty happy. So really I don't feel like I failed too badly. I just failed to focus, and didn't spread the load as well as I might have...
Anyway, as I continue to recover from my earlier burnout and without a clear goal in sight in terms of an upcoming tournament, my hobby efforts have been pretty confused and random. I've dabbed some paint on a couple of models, but I haven't produced anything even remotely close to a finished product.
Right now my focus is somewhat on my Orcs and Goblins. They need some attention (having been completely neglected for a number of years), and I thought I'd have a go at something I've been meaning to try for ages - turning some of my units into more of a rabble and less of an ordered regiment.
|Some of my "unpainted" Orcs strewn across the table. Some have someone else's paint on them, but I need to try to update them to match my other stuff.|
|All your base.|
|Trying them in amongst regular, single-base guys. I like how I somehow still have trouble ranking them up, even when there are not enough of them on the bases. Stupid big Orcs...|
Thus far, I'm not entirely sure it's working. In order to stand the models out of their normal positions, I end up having to use fewer models per base. This makes the Orcs look more "thin on the ground" than I really imagined. It's possible it will work better when I mix them in with more regular guys, rather than having so many of the newer group bases in a single formation. Failing that, I might look at trying to make some diorama-type pieces. Maybe even some using some really large bases (taking 12 or 15 spots) and magnetising the guys on it so I can actually transport the things. Ah well, I have enough Orcs that I can experiment a bit.
|Here's one I've been working on for a while. A Black Orc restoring order to the ladz.|