Monday 13 February 2017

Painting progress

In the months leading up to Christmas, I had lost all of my painting momentum and motivation. I had burned myself out trying to get organised for a large battle report, and it was all I could do to sit back, relax a bit, and spend more time playing computer games than fiddling with miniatures.

Things have improved slightly from a hobby perspective in the time since then, thankfully. In the lead-up to Cancon I was working on a Chaos Blood Bowl team that a friend was borrowing. I didn't get it finished, but I did at least get it to a usable state. That may be as far as it gets for a while - we shall see.
No, they are not completely painted yet. Well, the Chaos Warriors probably are done. And maybe the Minotaur and one of the of the Beastmen are close. Actually, they're all close.
There were originally a few more Beastmen in the pile to be painted, but I realised there was no way they would be needed at Cancon and time was limited, so they remain barely more than undercoated. The team did fairly well at Cancon, by the way. I think he finished sixth.
As we finally start to fall back into some sort of normal weekly rhythm, I also managed to sit down and painting something at Painting Night on Friday evening. I've had this model for a long time, and whilst its pose always amused me, I never had any idea how to paint it. You know you've got a few dragons when the decision comes down to "what colours of dragons do I not yet have?" Because you know, you want some variety right? The general consensus was that I should have a white one, so that is what I did.
I present to you the White Ninja. One of my older, smaller metal Dragons that may well see use as a Drakon in Kings of War.
He has real style, this guy. He's my favourite of the older range of Dragons.
It's not a fancy paint scheme. I couldn't decide on a different colour to add interest, so just kept it simple.
The tail originally stretched way out behind it, but that was a little impractical.
Real Dragons don't use their front claws. Not when they can kick things. Keep them tucked out of the way.
What next? I don't have any real goals yet, but if I can at least get up some kind of momentum and work on anything at all, it will feel like an improvement on recent times. The focus can always come later.

6 comments:

  1. Loving the blood bowl team and the funky "kung fu" dragon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you back and painting. That Minotaur really stands out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be getting some stuff done again. And yeah, the modern minotaur models are a little on the beefy side.

      Delete
  3. It's good to find that you're interested in old stuff like BB, I'm going to buy new dwarf team to represent Karak-Norn Rangers in our local league. What about t9A (v.1.3)? Are you going to try it out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant team.........would love to see this on a pitch.

    ReplyDelete