Wednesday, 4 April 2018

A Dark-Robed Horde

It's been a while since my previous post, but I've finally completed the full unit of Night Goblins. After the initial large multi-model filler, I painted the remainder in 3 batches. It all seemed pretty manageable, but that still didn't mean I got through it all quickly. Oh well, at least I did get there in the end.
40 Night Goblins, ready for battle. Or you know, ready to squabble a bit and then run away.
I had no idea what to do with the banner. So I just painted it black, like everything else. Fits the theme.
The filler didn't feel too sparse when I was laying it out, but you do notice the gaps when the models are squeezed in around them. This seems to be a bit of an art form in itself.
A top-down view, showing the gaps and arrangement.
These are the other models that managed to score rocks of their own. A few others got cut from their slots so they could be shifted around on their bases a bit, but I was relying on a few rocks to tie in with those on the big filler.
I've learnt a few things from this experiment. First of all, it occurred to me a bit late that a 5x4 filler is too large to practically use in Warhammer if the unit is likely to be only 4 ranks deep. As soon as you have to take away more than 5 models, the removal of casualties will be compromised. The convenience of the filler working as a regiment for Kings of War was too good to ignore, but it comes at a price. I think the size would still work OK for something like Spearmen, where they're quite likely to form up much deeper in Warhammer. But it's less than ideal in this case. Never mind.

The other thing is that it's quite difficult to tie the filler in with the ranked up single models around it. The model density is too different, and even when they're moved around on their bases, the single models will always look more tidily ranked up. I might need to work in more smaller multi-based fillers if I really want to tie things together properly. More experimentation is in order.

The other sort of modelling-related thing I did recently was start trying to work out how to paint a backdrop for photos. As have so many before me, I watched some Bob Ross videos and got entranced by his hypnotic monologue and the sorcerous way he creates worlds on a canvas. I've come to the conclusion that there is no reason I couldn't employ some of his methods to make something to suit my purposes, but my first effort at some of the elements was always going to be rough. 

More accomplished artists may wish to avert their eyes.
Some of the key elements I will need for what I eventually want to do. Sky, mountains and forest.
I have little to show at this point, but have identified some things I definitely need to do differently next time.

  1. Try working on a base of wet gesso. It's especially important for the clouds, as I couldn't get close to what was being done in the video I was watching.
  2. Get some better brushes that are more suited to what I'm doing and the scale I'll need to aim for.
  3. Try using canvas, as the texture of the paper I was using instead probably affected how well some of the techniques worked.
  4. Ensure that if I'm going to be painting next to my son, that I have enough brushes on-hand to use whichever ones I want...

Anyway, I don't think it will be too long before I have another go at this. 

Back on the actual model front, I'll be persisting with the Goblins, but I'll have to do something a little more interesting (and quicker) than a horde of Night Goblins. Break things up a bit. Maybe some characters or other Goblin fashion accessories like some Trolls...

1 comment: