Saturday 27 November 2021

More slow grow Dwarfs

Time ticks by, and the slow grow continues. We're now a bit over 2 weeks from the end of the first nominated 2 month period, and I feel like I have things relatively under control. I have already posted my unit of 10 Hammerers, but I can now add to that a unit of Thunderers, and a Thane.

I say a Thane, but I really mean Ungrim Ironfist, the Slayer King of Karak Kadrin. Except that he can't be that at the moment, because that would be ridiculous in a 500 point mini-army. So instead he's just a Thane for now, running around in his dragon pyjamas...

Ungrim Ironfist in all his retro-inspired glory. I based the paint scheme on the old original GW studio paint job for this guy from back in 4th edition. Mine has a more modern plastic back banner on a brass rod instead of a paper one like their had, and he's standing on a little green stuff rock that I must have made years ago. When I came back to this guy recently, he had already been assembled and undercoated for a long time.
Yeah, he's wearing a cloak made of a dragon, and just wanders around dragging its head on the ground.
In truth, it can't have been a very big dragon. The head is not exactly huge. But I think he's still going to be a pain to rank up sometimes.

Painting Ungrim was interesting. I decided on basically the classic colour scheme, albeit with the colours painted using my normal methods. But trying to do the old classic banner on this rigid plastic one that was already attached proved too much for me. In fact I think I tried to use too thick a brush and dug a hole for myself. I had to paint over the mess I made, and start again. On my second attempt I abandoned the original banner design, and went for something a little simpler. I also found a permanent marker and smaller brush, and it all went a lot better. So he's not the same as the original classic. Oh well. He's close enough, and he's mine.

Then there are the Thunderers. I painted 11 of them, so that I would be able to add 10 models to my existing unit without having to include 2 standards in the regiment. I think there might be 2 musicians though. I didn't think of that. I'm so clever.
These are the guys who were hiding in the back row.
Almost half of the models I painted this time (and half of the 30 or so Thunderers I have painted overall) are basic Skull Pass models. They're not exciting, but I don't hate them either. I think if they were all I had, they'd really bother me. But padding out other more interesting models, they're fine.
These are the proper multi-part plastic Thunderers. The rune on the banner is actually the Rune of Accuracy, which is for war machines. But I mean, it gives a good-aiming vibe. Wishful thinking, I guess.
The backs of the models are pretty unexciting, and I probably skipped the chance to add more colour with the gear on their belts. I regret nothing - they are painted.

I'm aware that I'm doing a better job of adding details to banners here than I normally do with my Empire. It's bothering me a bit. I'll have to go back and do something about that. When I have some time. Whenever that will be. Not now. My initial 500 point selection included 10 Warriors and a Bolt Thrower. That feels like a lot still to do. I can do it if I stay dedicated, but it will be some work. We'll see if I get there, or cheat and alter my plans...

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff - takes me back a while!
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete