Sunday 2 October 2022

Eventual hobby update

Somehow we've already made it to October, and my previous post was in July. Two whole months with no posts at all. Oh well, I guess my priorities lay elsewhere.

I might have been silent for the entirety of August and September, but I haven't been completely idle on the hobby front. I did allow my attentions to wander from the slow grow Dwarfs, though. I sort of shifted a bit to paint some stuff to help us get back on track with the Gob-Off campaign. We've actually just played the next stage of it, but I still need to get the report together. In the meantime, this is what I've managed to paint...

21 forest goblin archers, ready to take the field

These models are interesting. They're actually 10mm models from Red Nebular, printed at 200% scale to bring them closer to the height of retro GW goblins. They actually scale really well. The detail holds up at a level I'm perfectly happy with, and their character is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. They came with spearmen too, but that's a problem for another time.

Goblin pirates! How useful...

The pirates are probably not going to feature regularly in any goblin army I'm likely to field, but they're fun models and I have a plan for them. Most of these guys are from Black Scorpion Miniatures, but a couple up the back are 3D prints from Titan Forge.

An improvised forest goblin shaman on gigantic spider

The model above is a bit of an abomination. The spider is an old Marauder one, and somewhere I have the correct shaman to put on its back. I did look for him, repeatedly. But in the end time was pressing and I ran out of patience. This shaman belongs on the back of a much bigger spider (an Arachnarok), but he was available. I had to extend his skirt and sit him on a pin to get him onto this mount, but at least he works. Of course, you're not allowed to put shamans on spiders anymore. As if that was going to stop me...

This is not a goblin. Somehow it's something even more silly and useless.

This engineer on mechanical steed is a 3D print from One Page Rules. The little mechanical-looking birds were separate, but came from the same place and I decided he needed at least 2. He was painted in a bit of a hurry the night before I needed him, so he's not exactly a work of art. But he looks the part for what I wanted him for.

I'm not sure if the birds are meant to be real, but most of the creatures in the set are robotic, so I'm assuming this guy is some sort of animal-loving engineer who doesn't want to send real pigeons on explosive missions. I gave them pigeon-inspired metallic colours - something I basically never use for anything.
The bare-looking shield bothered me, and I had a sudden amusing idea to paint a pigeon head on the thing. Some questionable advice from the other side of the painting table led me to a Simpsons video, and somehow I ended up painting this abomination based on that...


Anyway, this was all a bit of a laugh and I feel like I've allowed myself to become quite distracted from the painting challenge. Having said that, I think we're about 2 weeks from it being an entire year since the challenge started. At this point there's really only a few of us even really thinking about it, and my attention is wandering a bit. I think the Dwarfs might have just about finished their moment in the sun in terms of my painting efforts. There are a few things that I wouldn't mind sneaking in, and even started a few gyrocopters before getting distracted. So they might not quite be done yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment