I had planned to spend Painting Night on Friday working on more Greatswords, but then I got randomly inspired and instead spent the time converting and assembling my new wagon unit filler for the regiment. This was partly because I needed to work out exactly how big its base was going to be, as that would determine exactly how many individual Greatswords would be needed to round out the unit.
The answer to the filler base question is that it takes up the room of 18 models (6x3). This is the same as the first wagon I built for my Stirlanders. Turns out I can't realistically jam the thing onto a smaller base if I want to include the horse pulling it. This is fine, but it does mean that the unit will really need to be 60-strong. Anything less and the filler will feel too big. I think I had been toying with the idea of reducing my workload and aiming for 50 Greatswords rather than 60. Guess that plan is gone again...
|My new unit filler, set to take the place of 18 Greatswords.|
I decided to make the wagon some sort of simple weaponry/supply one. I filled it with weapons and random containers that presumably contain things like gunpowder. I made up a Greatsword guard to help tie the filler in with its parent unit, and I made up a "quartermaster" - the guy in charge of the gear in the wagon. It's not a lot of infantry models for something taking up so much space, but my desire to cram guys on is tempered by my tight schedule and the fact that the base is fairly full already (the wagon is pretty big).
|Another angle on the wagon. The horse is a very old, tired model. One of the first I ever owned - I think he's suffering under about 4 layers of paint there. he got a new tail, though. Not that you can really see it under the seat.|
The wagon and the crew have since been undercoated, but whilst I was waiting for that to dry on Saturday, I got a bit sidetracked. Having decided that we would in fact require an extra few textured boards for the Heffengen game, a few of us set about getting those ready. And we made great progress, too - the boards now have sand, and were painted black before a brown drybrush. Unfortunately the last step (a bone coloured highlight to align it with the existing boards) was curtailed when we discovered that pot of paint had dried up. Alas. A trip to Bunnings is in order. We so nearly did the entire process in a day. Hooray for warm weather for quick drying.
And in between waiting for the undercoat on the wagon and the PVA and paint on the boards to dry, I decided to start painting something else. Karl Franz finally has a proper mount!
|This model is gigantic. I kept sweeping things off the far side of my painting table with his wingtip whilst holding him for painting. Well, maybe not the far side of the table. But things that should have been safe.|
|This whole model has been an exercise in simple painting. I could see how a master painter would go berserk on such a fancy model. I kept it basic.|
|Another example of keeping things simple - I went for a lion's colouring rather than something fancy like tiger stripes. Maybe next time.|
|Yep, still gigantic. Barely fits in my little light tent for photos.|