This post is part 2 of the report on the Battle of Heffengen. You can read part 1 here.
Before we continue, I should mention that there are a great many characters involved in this game, however most of them are moving as part of larger units, and so I didn't note them down. There was also a Tzeentch sorcerer kicking about on a flying disc who I didn’t bother to track (because, you know, priorities). You’ll just have to bear with me and accept that some of the detail didn’t make it onto the maps.
Chaos Turn 2
|Chaos Turn 2|
|Time to engage|
|The Chaos forces close in on the eastern flank as Vlad looks on from his boat|
|Wave after wave of Chaos troops move up|
On the west flank, the hounds recovered their wits and realised the pistoliers that had taunted them previously were still within reach. They surged forward, and although the Empire pistols brought down a few more of the dogs, this time they would not be denied. Men shouted and horses screamed as the pack leapt into the fray. With casualties mounting on both sides, the hounds drove the pistoliers from the field, chasing close behind.
The daemon prince of Nurgle swept over the heads of the Khornate ogres and into a large regiment of swordsmen. The ogres would have followed, however they were delayed when they engaged in a heated debate about who was the angriest, which looked likely to come to blows very quickly. If this bothered the daemon prince in the slightest, he didn’t show it. Instead he set about hacking apart the Empire swordsmen, their raised shields and defensive formation doing little to slow his bloody rampage.
|The Nurgle daemon prince decides to pick on a soft target rather than looking for a real challenge. Bully.|
|The dragon ogres take their frustration out on the unfortunate archers|
|The dragon ogres set their sights on something a little more exotic than skirmishing archers|
|This does not end well for the outriders|
|The ogres reform, making use of the Empire orders to hold their ground rather than charging for the first 2 turns|
|The victorious marauders pursue 12", looking for new challenges|
|Buying time with their lives|
|At least it was over quickly|
|What is that clanging noise? How did they possibly do 4 wounds in a turn?|
|The Stirland halberdiers take the first opportunity to depart the field, despite Karl Franz glaring at them with Ld 10|
|Thanks to Karl Franz making everything within his range stubborn, 12 pistoliers can face off against 60 charging gor.|
A huge herd of beastman gor managed to trap the larger group of pistoliers in combat immediately in front of the rise in the centre of the Empire lines, leaping into the fray before they could move to escape. The struggle was bloody as crude weapons bludgeoned the mounted humans and they fought back with pistol, blade and hoof. Remarkably the pistoliers managed to hold their position despite being vastly outnumbered, although only a third of their number remained to fight on.
|Ow, that hurt. Uh, I mean still stand fast!|
|5 pistoliers can totally take 15 minotaurs and a doombull, right?|
|OK, so maybe it's not an even fight.|
The smaller unit of pistoliers had moved forward in an attempt to prevent the gang of minotaurs from reaching the main line, however their efforts proved insufficient as they were swatted casually aside and the lumbering brutes maintained their momentum to crash into the waiting ranks of White Wolf knights.
|Efforts to prevent this from happening were ultimately unsuccessful. But then all the best combats involve far more than 2000 points of models.|
|Give it to them, doombull!|
|The greatswords lose their momentum in the face of growing opposition|
|To the pain!|
|Ow, that hurt! It is a good pain...|
|Chimera vs steam tank - nothing much happened|
|The free daemon prince and chimera attack|
|The daemon prince was hoping to break through to join the other combat, but steadfast was always going to be a problem.|
A chimera swept past this struggle and into one of the mobs of flagellants behind. It arrived like a thunderbolt of enomormous teeth and claws, belching flame into their midst as it crashed home. Its charge was greeted with frantically waved flails, predictions of doom and pleas to Sigmar. More than half of the 30 flagellants met their doom in the opening exchanges, but the survivors merely pushed closer in an attempt to claim a similar fate. The chimera itself was staggering slightly after it was sorely battered by their frenzied flailing, but its ferocity remained undimmed.
|The spirits of flagellants slain by the chimera depart, looking for the afterlife and/or their army case|
The light in the heavens above the forces on the eastern flank continued to grow ominously, but the advancing Chaos forces gave it little heed. A sorcerer of Tzeentch summoned forth an Infernal Gateway and tore apart nearly half the regiment of greatswords by the river, but the survivors refused to be cowed and held their ground.
|Forsaken leading the charge of the infantry, whilst a lone Empire soldier runs for his life as the giant punts a huge dice at him|
|The view across some of the field|
|Who's a pretty boy?|
Empire Turn 2
|Empire Turn 2|
|The Empire forces respond|
|The first steam tank ground 2 dragon ogres into the ground before the charge of the other one cleaned up the last guy|
|Hey, the charge seemed like a good idea at the time. Also, RAARR!|
|The Reiksguard ride straight through the remainder of the marauder unit|
|The Nurgle daemon prince continues to work his way through the swordsman regiment|
|Enact the Dino Protocol! Detonate your own steam tank in order to make room for more favourable engagements!|
|Spearmen vs Nurgle marauders. This epic fight of uselessness would continue for the rest of the battle|
|With their path to the beastmen suddenly cleared, the knights lowered their lances and charged...|
|... and the beastmen turned and ran like big, hairy babies|
Toward the east, the greatswords trying to address enemies on two fronts received some assistance in the form of a regiment of swordsmen charging into the flank of the forsaken. The swordsmen soon came to regret their heroic rescue attempt however, as the mutated Chaos worshippers turned and hacked apart the front rank of soldiers before they could land a blow. Their momentum and numbers ensured they continued to press, though the greatswords were dwindling in number as they struggled on bravely against many foes.
|The swordsmen attempt to rescue the greatswords, but find themselves in a losing combat nonetheless|
The minotaurs struck like an avalanche of hairy muscle and pitted steel, hurling their huge bodies into the fray whilst their swung their enormous axes with unstoppable force. The knights responded with well-placed blows from their own two-handed weapons, crushing skulls and battering down their assailants. Half a dozen of the huge cow-headed beastmen fell in the opening exchanges, but the price was heavy. A score of the White Wolves lay dead and dying, the Amber wizard and the grand master amongst them. The rest of the regiment held their position grimly and fought on.
|The minotaurs and White Wolves lay into each other, tallying well over 40 unsaved wounds|
|A chariot flees after seeing one of its allies blown to pieces|
The wizards in the Empire lines did their best to bolster the fire pouring into the enemy. The luminark blasted a hole in a chariot, though the damage was not fatal. A fireball landed amongst the furies, though it was poorly guided as the wizard was already hitching his robes up in preparation for his imminent retreat. Spells were cast forth only to be intercepted by the sorcerers in the Chaos lines, but the daemon prince of Slaanesh found that its hiding place behind the trolls was insufficient to shield it from Shem’s Burning Gaze, and it barely escaped with its life, one arm hanging scorched and useless at its side.
One of the steam tanks tried to propel itself into a sorcerer floating nearby on a hovering daemonic disk, however the distance proved too far and the engineer grew careless in his efforts to bring down his foe, misfiring the cannon in his haste and further damaging his already wounded machine. The other steam tank had better fortune, as it found itself rescued from the attentions of the attacking chimera when a regiment of demigryphs crashed into it and drove the beast away.
|The wolfygryphs rush to relieve the steam tank from the chimera|
|The chimera admits defeat and departs. Quitter.|
Further to the east, the chimera continued to tear into the remaining flagellants. Wounded though it was, the fanatics found themselves unable to finish it off after they tired of their frantic flailing. The feeling was mutual, however; the chimera hurled itself bodily into the crush only to find itself confronted by single defiant flagellant, whipping himself excitedly and happily proclaiming details of the world’s end to the dull brute. If the chimera cared one whit about what the lunatic was saying, it gave no sign.
|Some good defiance and delaying from the remaining leadbelcher and flagellant|
|Leadbelchers block the advance of the trolls|
|End of turn 2. Note the disc rider near the bottom of the picture. I told you he was there...|
|Let me sing you the song of my people. Doom, doom, doom, doom, doom...|
|So many daemons|
|3 ogres against a tide of Chaos|
|Such obnoxious shorts. Oh, and that is the crossbowmen panicking and running from the table when a cannon blew itself up|
|Akkorak, lord of the flash photo|
|This was me taking a photo from the other direction at the exact time of Harley's flash. That, or Akkorak rides bathed in eternal sunshine. Weakest of the gifts of Tzeentch|
|The shooting phase on the western flank required many hands to speed things up a bit|
|Chaos hounds mocking the Empire orders to hold their ground|
You can find the next part of the report here.
Turn 2 Original Notes
Turn 2 Chaos
- khorne ogres and daemon prince charge swordsmen, hold, ogres fail, DP makes it
- big dogs charge pistoliers, stand and shoot, kill 3, can’t fail
- dragon ogres charge archers, stand and shoot kills none, make charge
- chaos ogres charge outriders, stand and shoot kills none, make charge
- chimaera charges peg rider needing a 12, rolls triple 2
- khorne marauders charge small swordsmen, make it
- fleeing chariot runs off table
- nurgrauders into stank. one stood and shot. chimera into other stank. it loves it.
- chariots into greatswords
- chimera into big knights
- many gor into kislevy horses
- minotaurs? they are doing something? oooo. wheely wheely. clang. poor pistoly men.also potentially clang into big knights? confusion and tape measures and roll of four…
- small dave marauders into small swordsmen near shooty flank.
- forsaken flank greatswords.
- “Oh, remaining moves, shit” - Dave. A mass trundelage occurs.
- The chimera flies majestically over the gor.
- bloodletters mosey forwards.
- as do bloodcrushers and drones.
- soul grinder wanders sideways.
- fish cannon of khorne slalom madly forwards.
- pumbas rally!
- hellcannon fails rampage
- daemon prince charges leadbelchers
- chimaera charges flagellants
- forsaken flank greatswords
- tuskgor chariots charge greatswords
- reeeeeely reeeeely reeeeely fast trolls are reeeeeely reeeeely reeeeely fast
- Vlad watches from his boat.
- not much else interesting.everything shoved forward eight inches. by the empire side.
- a lot of green things advance
- The hyperspace speed trolls are too far forward?
- Greg takes a nap, instructing the players to ‘wake me when it’s over.’
- Rhys does not like trolls. He wishes he had not been given trolls. Leopold assures him there is either an unbreakable beer fridge or unbreakable deamon prince behind them. Owen is worried he’s going deaf.
Power: 23 (channels: 0 - the chaos players do not tell us how many channels.)
Dispel: 18 (channels: 2 + luminarch)
- 5 dice boosted searing doom on demis fails to cast
- 6 dice final trans on giant white wolf bus, stopped
- Comet does not fall
- Weird things happen to owen’s cursor. Owen fixes his cursor.
- 6 dice gateway on greatswords, irresistible. S7. 11 hits.8 dead. feedback miscast causes many wizard headaches, loses 6 of 6 remaining dice
- Psychic duel, owen V. pete for control of the notes.
- Pete wins.
- hellcannon hits boros (red/white) halberdiers, kills 16
- hellcannon shoots greatswords, drifts and hits stirland halberdiers, kills 2, panics on KFs Ld, flees off table through many things, nothing panics
- fish cannon, two wounds on stank.
- hellcannon debate results in shot on stank?
- gregs phone beeps, distracting both greg and owen.
- dogs chase pistoliers off table
- archers do no wounds to dragon ogres, flee and get run down, panic some helblasters, outriders panic off table, DOs pursue into steam tank
- ogres kill outriders with impact hits alone, reform narrower
- khorne flail marauders maul swordsmen, get mauled, swordsmen fail steadfast, marauders pursue 12”
- daemon prince kills 8 swordsmen, ignores return attacks
- some sort of argument about flank and over runs.
- minotaurs wipe out pistoly men, overrun into white wolves.
- gors gore pistoliers wthout doing much at all.
- chimera bounces of stank.
- marauders do many wounds to stank. it sucks at saves, and takes four wounds. aw yeah.
- benrauders destroy pistolymen.
- great greatsword combat. chariots… one is wounded. forsaken - do one wound. sigh. ungor primaly furious. kill two. bestigor slay two. 14 dead total. gs’s hit back. chariot deaded. 9 ungor smote. 2 parry. 7 deaded.
- greatswords stubborn, they love it.
- five wounds on leadbelchers from prince of deamons. 1 wound back. Saved.
- Chimera combat - one sacrificed, hatred gained. flagellants flail furiously. fourteen times. Chimera has one wound left. It breathes. Double sixes(?) nine dead. 7 dead from tail or something. total: 14?
Turn 2 Empire
- Steam tank in combat generates 4 steam points, grinds 2 dragon ogres; other generates 3.
- Steam tank initiates the Dino Protocol and self-destructs, killing pistoliers and leaving marauders and gor open to charge
- small knight unit charges gor who flee through a million daemons, redirect into temur (red/blue/green) chimaera
- demigryphs charge furies
- reiksguard knights charge remains of khorne flail marauders
- esper (blue/white/black) swordsmen flank warriors flanking greatswords
- nothing important appears to be happening.
- stank moves up for point blank cannoning on disco fever.
- no charges over here. none at all.
- that was the most epic movement phase ever.
Power: 21 (channels: 1 + hurricanum)
Dispel: 13 (channels: 2)
- doom and darkness on general’s unit, dispelled
- banishment from war altar on daemon prince, dispelled
- rerolls to wounds on giant white wolf unit
- luminarch laser on wounded chariot, 2 wounds
- fireball bounces off furies
- boosted shems dies 3 wounds to daemon prince
- cannon kills chimaera, panics chariot, nick gets very good mileage out of BSB
- cannon explodes, panics cannon, helblaster and crossbow unit with fire mage (off table)
- 4 cannons do 2 wounds to chimaera
- helblaster shoots 20 shots at chimaera, 5 wounds, walks it off like ben playing halo
- handgunners do 3 wounds to chimaera, walks it off
- 22 helblaster shots at chariot, nick rolls 123456 for saves (chariot dies)
- mortars fail to kill the chimaera
- various BS shooting kills some chaos ogres
- helblast giant. a wound.
- stank pistol a guy in the head, but does not wound.
- stank misfires the cannon. it takes more wounds, now up to seven.
- daemon prince kills 4 swordsmen, loses combat
- remnants of marauders kill 2 knights, are wiped out
- combat comes early to the middle.
- great greatsword bash: 5 swordsmen fall to forsaken. 1 gs killed. 3 gs dead total. forsaken lose 1. 2 ungor dead also. swordsmen runneth not. gs runneth not.
- the lone demigryph… wounds the chimera. chimera loses and buggers off at speed.
- minotaurtaur! knight champ chomped. 8 wounds on minotaurs. 18 total, 6 guys. 3 wounds on grandmaster, he s cleaven in twain. some other guy killed. 4 wounds on unit, 4 dead. 11 more wounds. the horror. no saves. doombull is a chump. kills 3. doombull now up to 9 attacks. knights hang round.
- one belcher of lead eaten by dp.
- flagellants be not affeared. also not frenzied.they bounce. chimera does stuff. it kills 4. then another 4. there is one left. he is not happy about this.
In light of Gurug'ath no longer being present and Karl Franz's complete lack of involvement in the battle thus far, a decision was made that from Turn 4 onward the Chaos players may shoot Karl Franz, however models wishing to do so must pass a Ld test or not be allowed to shoot that turn.