Sunday 1 September 2019

Unexpected Reinforcements

It's been a long time since I acquired a significant second-hand bundle of models, and I wouldn't normally jump on the blog and talk about it. However, this is a bit of a special occasion. A gentleman turned up at the club, wanting to offload his Warhammer models that he no longer had any use for. He talked a little about the sort of stuff he had, but I wasn't really prepared for what would be there once it was all laid out.

This is an Orc and Goblin army that was clearly a labour of love over an extended period. There are models in here from 3rd edition all the way through 8th. There are a few different basing styles, which may reflect refinements over time, or maybe some of the models had more than one owner. The vast majority of the models are Citadel and Marauder in origin, however a few others have slipped on, most notably an entire regiment of unfortunate-looking Orc archers.

Anyway, I haven't done a great job of lighting this stuff for photos, but hopefully these are enough to give a fair impression of what I have acquired...

Many thousands of points of Orcs and Goblins. 

A slightly more top-down view. Gives a better indication of numbers. 
Sneaky Skulkers! I never did get myself any of these. Always assumed I would convert some if I needed them. 
A few characters and some pretty Spider Riders. Every spider is quite different. The modern Skarsnik needs some repairs, but overall things are in remarkably good shape. Like, there's over 60 4th ed starter box Goblin Spearmen, and not one of the spears is broken. The shields have only fallen off 2 or 3... 
Further along the character line... 
...And the rest of them. 
About 45 old metal Night Goblins (with a few sneaky plastics for good measure). Oh, and a few Fanatics. 
40 metal Common Goblins. Honestly, the metal Goblins and Night Goblins are basically the reason I bought this army. The nostalgia factor for parts of the army is enormous. 
Just a few 4th ed starter Archers. Hand painted banners all over the shop.
Really old Boar Boys. Or Gruntas, or whatever they were called back in the day. That's before my time, old as I am... 
Only a few Trolls, but a couple of Pump Wagons. The army doesn't really add a lot of toys in the places my existing force is weak. Not a lot of Trolls or Squigs... Actually, not a lot of Orcs (not that I have a shortage of those). 
Another Grom... The spider is cool though. 
Looks like Morglum Necksnapper got an upgrade. 
There are some clever cut corners here. These riders have come from the ancient Fantasy Fighters box set. They really do the job. 
 And another unit that's built using the 4th ed starter guys. Again, they do look like they belong. No idea how hard it was to get them on in the first place.
The army has some unique quirks. Night Goblins on bats makes sense, but has never been a thing to my knowledge... They look great, though. Very reminiscent of the old Carrion models, which I always loved.
The finest of the lot. The bat is diving to eat a tiny tasty squig, and the rider is holding on for dear life! 
Apparently this army was being used recently enough to merit the creation of some Mangler Squigs. They have a proper wild look to them. They should get along with my own home-made ones quite well, once the basing is aligned. 
Get a load of these guys. I'm pretty sure these are Inquisition models, which is an Australian model company that's been dead and gone for 20 years or something. I might be wrong, but they have the same look to them.

Anyway, I obviously didn't take individual shots of everything. But it's enough to give a feel of what's there. There's a seriously retro vibe to some of it, which aligns very nicely with some of my plans for the near future. 

I'll have to look at the basing and a few details to align with my existing collection, but once it's all brought together I might finally have an army that could give my Empire a run for its money...

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That is an impressive haul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very good find. Love the paintjobs, and the old models bring a tear to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best kind of good find... one that came and found me!

      Delete