Apologies if the photos are starting to get worse. As evening fell and the light deteriorated a bit, it got harder to take decent shots without a flash.
Chaos Turn 5
|Chaos Turn 5. The comet finally arrives!|
After the brief change in momentum that had accompanied the appearance of the undead hiding in the river, the Empire army was once again on the back foot.
The counter-attack launched by the Empire on the western flank was short-lived. The griffon, pegasus and hurricanum that had burst through and disposed of the Chaos knights of Nurgle were now charged by knights of Slaanesh, marauder horsemen and a chariot respectively. The captain on pegasus who had rallied nearby was also charged by skullcrushers. The vargheists and black coach (which was caught up in a sudden frenzy) also made to charge, but found their targets to be just out of range.
|The Slaanesh knights led by the sorcerer lord charge the griffon as the Chaos second wave hits home.|
|There were Empire units engaging the Slaanesh knights, marauder horsemen, chariot and skullcrushers before that spell. Stupid "choir bomb".|
|A gorebeast chariot is in amongst the Empire missile troops.|
|The minotaurs deal with the remaining swordsmen, then help the chimera dispose of the halberdiers. By that point, each minotaur was good for 9 attacks with a great weapon. Will it blend?|
|Akkorak should probably have dealt with the Empire knights by now, but he was playing with his food and/or rolling pretty badly.|
|...After combat. Note that the Empire knights have lost steadfast. Fortunately the BSB is still in the unit, and they managed to pass on Ld 4.|
|Poor Reiksguard. Not really the combat they would have chosen.|
The marauders that had so easily broken the morale of the greatsword regiment spied a new target, and charged into combat against a large formation of halberdiers. Flails struck down numerous Empire soldiers, however they held the line and fought back bravely with their warrior priest shouting random Sigmar-inspired poetry that was no doubt intended to inspire.
|The marauders did well against the greatswords, but get bogged fighting the halberdiers.|
The other crew of the other skullcannon saw the flock of over-sized birdies flapping about in a tizz on the hill and decided to take aim at Deathclaw in an effort to finish what it had started with its previous shot. The shot was on target, but remarkably the wounded griffon shrugged off the cannonball with no apparent ill effects. This apparently upset the coven of Chaos sorcerers, who set about trying to roast him with magic. Blue Fire of Tzeentch was dispelled, but a Bolt of Change struck and further wounded the already crippled beast, leaving it clinging to life by a thread, although the strange after-effects of the spell seemed to alleviate the pain somewhat.
Toward the east of the field, the bloodletters continued to batter at the steam tank, swarming all over it looking for any potential weaknesses. The other steam tank was struck by a hellcannon shot and it split apart under the force of the impact, leaving nothing but a steaming pile of scrap. The demigryphs had rallied nearby, but the pursuing Chaos warriors were not about to give up and charged them again immediately. Unfortunately without the chimera to assist them, they found their prey a far more dangerous prospect. Clearly upset at the fright the previous bout had caused them, the monstrous mounts tore savagely into the Chaos warriors with such ferocity that their charge collapsed into a disorganised rout and they were completely obliterated.
|The warriors want another crack at the rallied wolfygryphs.|
|Well that was a mistake. We should have brought the chimera with us (actually, they did try. The chimera failed a redirect test on its miserable Ld after making the White Wolf knights flee).|
By the time Crom and his few surviving warriors recovered, they found themselves in a smoking crater surrounded by scorched human remains, their own once-glorious putrid banner proclaiming the wonders of Nurgle having been reduced to a ragged scrap of smouldering cloth.
The daemon prince that had been delaying the mournfangs and flagellants was finally brought down by their combined efforts. A regiment of skeletons had been emerging from the river and was immediately set upon by the Slaanesh warriors and varghulf that had just finished disposing of the last of the grave guard and wraiths. The front ranks of the undead were smashed in a shower of splintered bone, but there were plenty more of them continuing to appear from under the water - enough to keep their assailants busy. The lone varghulf continued to defy the mob of ghouls attempting to drag it down, thrashing its muscled body around to crush those that scrambled up and tried to find purchase upon its back.
|Walach and the chosen press on, determined to finish what they started with Vlad (who is on the corner of the unit, just out of picture. Lurking.)|
|The skullcrushers return to the field on the western flank.|
Empire Turn 5
|Empire Turn 5|
|The steam tank falls a few inches short of a glorious charge.|
|Moving the other tank allowed this one to spin and charge the chariot.|
|It escaped on a single wound, and then fled off the table next turn.|
|The halberdiers stuffed up the charge, so Sam had to content himself with a single pegasus charge trying to improve the combat.|
|It was a noble rescue attempt.|
|But in the end, the knights fought on alone. In truth, the charge of the pegasus probably saved them that turn.|
|Grindy grindy grind. Nobody is going anywhere.|
|The pegasus captain has the best seat in the house to watch the worst show ever.|
|The halberdiers see off (and catch) the marauders.|
|Clash of the monstrous cavalry, whilst the terrorgheist watches on.|
|The overrun catches the terrorgheist napping.|
|Crom's BSB and his unit rallied in a precarious situation.|
|Apply excessive force.|
|Valten and co wade into the Chaos elite.|
|Ooh, Valten vs Crom!|
|Things get a little congested as the Empire and Vlad's forces move to try to improve the situation.|
|This is somehow both noble and entirely unheroic. The crippled Deathclaw hides at the back of the table with 2 griffons landing side-on in front of him to try to catch any cannonballs. Next time I'm driving the griffons.|
You can read the final part of the report here.
Turn 5 Original Notes
(Note that some of the notes were getting pretty patchy here. There are whole multi-turn combats that never get mentioned. Lucky I took a lot of photos)...
Turn 5 Chaos
- chariot charges hurricanum, holds
- chariot charges helblaster
- black coach flips out, fails frenzy, fails charging peg dude by 1 (needing a 12)
- vargheists fail to charge mencke’s old unit by 1 (triple 4, needed a 9)
- blood knights move up to support skullcrushers that came back onto the table, black knight reinforcements with vampire turn up
- everything rallies.
- cousins fears the comet.
- in light of subsequent events, he is right to do so.
Power: 26 (channels: 4)
Dispel: 15 (channels: 1)
- irresistible boosted choir: 11 hits on griffon, kills griffon and leaves rider on 1 wound, kills both peg riders, kills hurricanum, kills 7 knights fighting akkorak, 2 halberdiers. small blast miscast, kills griffon rider. (Hits rolled: 12, 11, 11, 10, 8, 6)
- blue fire on griffon dispelled
- bolt of change on deathclaw, leaves him one wound, gives him 6+ regen
- When asked for comment, Deathclaw said ‘cheap.’
- comet finally comes down: 21 hits on flagellants, 25 S18 hits on warriors. 10 warriors left including Crom.
- They are smouldering slightly.
- And displeased.
- And now, Cousins throws dice and undead things… INVOKATION WITH THIS GUY!
- gateway on an 25. prevented. bah.
- on to shooterations.
- helcannon kills some handgunners, they don’t panic
- skill cannone: deathclaw lives.
- one knight killed by killcanon.
- hellish kanone on stank. or mabe valten. on stank. stank obliterated and rendered dead, like an dodo.
- “shall we start fighting?’ - cousins.
- chariots kills helblaster
- minotaurs kill swordsmen, overrun into halberdiers fighting chimaera, kill them. now on 9 attacks per model.
- akkorak’s unit: mighty BS4 chaos knight champion dies to grand master in challenge. many empire knights die due to many 1s. empire knights hold on Ld4.
- carpark worth of chariots punch reiksguard, don’t kill many. reikssguard win by muso. two chariots break, two hold.
- teutogen guard ground down.
- some skeletons and ghoul died. varghulf survived. not much happened in any of the combats. #amazeballs.
Turn 5 Empire
- strong consideration was giving to moving helstorm battery into path of minotaurs
- haberdiers charge akkorak’s unit, fail
- peg charges akkorak’s unit, succeeds
- steam tank runs at skullcrushers needing a 13, fails on a 10
- other steam tank skid turns and charges gorbeast chariot threatening missile troops
- engineer flees through missile troops, panics a couple of cannons
- aaron gets bored waiting and starts the turn early.
- ogres charge icy blue unit with bsb in. valten and freinds do so too.
- Things wander about and stuff happens.
- Rallies: some sort of knight with flag does not rally, and is almost off the table.Those chaps who fled last turn and almost got off, and paniced the demigryphs, those guys, they are off.
- some spiritual hosts appear and hold a seance in the flank of the purple black knights.
- Shuffling and moseying in the best traditions of the game are indulged in.
- “it is no longer clear who is winning” -Greg Johnson.
- “it is clear that I am not winning” - Owen Top
- “it is clearerous that I iz orlso no winnerating” - Grot Erasmus Bag
Power: 23 (channels: 2)
Dispel: 15 (channels: 0)
- Invocation is invoked. Nick throws dice at it.
- It is gone.
- Gelt casts something which raises stuff or something. I don’t know.
- Maahnd Rarzaaahr!!! Defeated.
- Big shem eats chimera
- Handgunners shoot wound off chimaera
- Crossbowmen do 3 wounds, walks it off, other crossbow unit finally kills the dream
- cannons and mortars and handguns (oh my) kill half the minotaurs
- Nope. I can hax combat plz?
- Nope. I can haz combat plz?
- akkorak’s unit kills 6 knights. peg knight hero wounds sorceror lord, empire loses combat by 3, knights hold, peg hero flees
- steam tank does 3 wounds to gorbeast chariot, breaks it, gorebeast chariot fails to neck itself on helstorm
- I haz a combat! I haz a happi!
- the whole valten combat thing leaves chaos losing, need 3 with re-roll to avoid running. they do not have the happy. they are run down. poor bright blue chaos mens.
- valten and co. are now to be seen clanging into crom’s unit.
- demiwolves vs bloodcrushers - bloodcrushers fail break test and explode.demiwolves hit terrorgiest on overrun.
- I haz a combat! I haz a happee!
- a handful of ghouls, three chosen, a varghulf died. enough stuff is dead that vlad is in contact now… this bodes ill for the future. chaos won apparently. also, it appears mr von carstein is just out of contact.