Sorry, just getting into the whole apocalyptic vibe. Anyway, I planned a long time ago to make a unit filler for my Flagellants to add some interest to the unit. I decided that I wanted to give them a little bell carriage to push around. It should aid them in their efforts to make a lot of noise and generally get people's attention. At the time (some 2 years ago now), I went on a quest to find a suitable bell. I had some difficulty, but eventually I located a little wedding bell. I say little, but it was still pretty big by 28mm standards (or 30mm, or whatever scale GW claim to be using these days). Nevertheless I figured I could make it work, but I followed this resolution up with absolutely nothing. The bell sat on the painting table and waited patiently whilst piles of modelling crap accumulated on top of it.
Well, my sudden need for more Flagellants brought things to a head, and coupled with my friend Pete's ability to print things in the third dimension, it seemed a good time to finally make use of the bell. I fired up Sketchup and started planning my bell carriage. After a bit of fiddling and scientific guesstimation, I came up with the following:
|The bell carriage concept. The bell itself is just a place-holder to help me get the dimensions right - we didn't need to print a bell, after all. I already had one of those.|
|The components of the bell carriage, along with the long-neglected bell itself.|
Rather excited, I immediately started hooking the thing together. This required a bit of pinning to get it to stay in the right shape whilst the super glue did its thing, and I also realised that I was 1 axle short. This was unfortunate, but I was certainly not going to wait to print another one. Instead I grabbed a 6x1 block of Lego and attacked it with knives and stabbing weapons. It was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and happened to be exactly the right length, and about the right height. Unlucky.
Once this was all done and the basic carriage was assembled, I grabbed a metal Mordheim Flagellant (the final wave of my Flagellants will all be repurposed Mordheim models) and added him as a bell ringer. He basically stands inside the bell and clatters about with his flail. He is without a doubt the deafest man in my army. I also added whatever suitable plastic components I could find.
|He can sort of see where he's going. Not that he cares. He's too busy making a terrible racket.|
It's not necessarily the final solution, but for now the plan is to put an Ogre there. They're big and ugly and they take up plenty of space. It's a perfect match. And I had already started work on a group of Ogre Flagellants anyway, before I realised that the bell carriage could be done in the timeframe available...
|Check out my Ogre Flagellants. OK, so they're not much to look at now. They need a little work. A fixer-upper.|
|Here they are, in all their blurry glory. Not the best pic, I'm afraid. The guy on the left is on a temporary base. He's the one destined to end up on the bell carriage.|
|Another shot. This one is more in focus, but darker. The question was raised over whether they were really Ogre Flagellants, or just Ogres in drag. The guys at the club are mean like that...|
At this point I have undercoated all the stuff shown above, as well as the 9 other Flagellants. This is good, because I think it's going to be a very busy week with some long evenings trying to get them ready for Saturday. I'm pretty sure it can be done. I'm just hoping I will have long enough to give everything a decent finish.