Wednesday 27 July 2011

Locking it in

I have written in the past about my use of tournaments as motivation for actually getting painting done. I have always found that committing to a tournament and including things that need to be painted in my list is a great way to make sure I actually knuckle down and get some paint on the models.

This year I have been entering fewer tournaments than normal. This is partly because it's a bit harder to commit to these things when you've got a toddler to think about, and it's partly because a couple of the tournaments I have attended in past years decided to go with player packs that didn't interest me. It's been 4 months since I played in a tournament.

Book of Grudges is in just over 2 weeks, and I submitted my list yesterday. I confess, I gave a reasonable amount of thought to the composition of the army, but little consideration to how much painting I will have to do. This kind of seems like poor planning on my part. Maybe I am out of practice.
Anyway, I have now locked in what I will be using, so all that remains is to ensure it's ready to go on the table. Here is a picture of my "to-do list"...


I forgot about this guy, so he missed the group shot.
I have 2 weeks to paint 5 Outriders, a Steam Tank, a mounted wizard (the Ice Queen of Kislev, who will be relegated to the role of Amethyst Wizard Lord), a pegasus (whether I paint a new rider or use the existing one painted for a Griffon will depend on how my time is going), and I need another champion and standard bearer for my Knights of the White Wolf. The standard bearer will be a conversion of the guy you see above - I have already committed all the guys I am willing to in terms of making White Wolf knights (there are 10 not yet fully painted, in the same state as this guy), however I only planned to have a single command group. Hence the need to convert a half-painted model. 

The champion was going to be in the same boat, but I decided instead to paint up the Grand Master of the Knights of the White Wolf, then demote him to a champion for this particular outing. Harsh, I know. But you've got to earn your place in the army. Do the hard yards. All that sort of thing. I have been thinking for a while about trying to improve this guy's horse, since the plastic barded steed he rides is just a bit run-of-the-mill. In fact, he would be in danger of getting lost in my complete Empire army if there are over 100 guys on the same damn horse (which has been in circulation for the entire time I have been playing Warhammer - over 20 years. Time to make a new horse, GW).

I decided it would be possible to make the horse rearing without too much trouble, so I set about doing this. I also stole a champion's horse head from a Knight box, as it's more interesting than the basic ones. I had to cut an ankle on the horse, pin it and green stuff the gap, and I also needed to use some foam to change his angle. But I think he will stand out better now.

All in all, I think my painting target will be achievable. But I think it's going to be very, very tight. Hopefully I don't have to cut too many corners to get there.

For reference, here is the list I have entered into Book of Grudges:

1 Arch Lector of Sigmar @ 244.0 Pts
     General; Barding; Prayers of Sigmar; Shield; Warhorse
     Dawn Armour
     The Mace of Helstrum

1 Wizard Lord of the Amethyst Order @ 270.0 Pts
     Magic Level 4; Lore of Death; Warhorse
     Talisman of Preservation

1 * Captain @ 132.0 Pts
     Barding; Full Plate Armor; Battle Standard; Warhorse
     Charmed Shield
     Talisman of Endurance

1 Warrior Priest of Sigmar @ 129.0 Pts
     Prayers of Sigmar; Great Weapon; Warhorse
     Armour of Meteoric Iron

1 Captain @ 159.0 Pts
     Lance; Full Plate Armor; Shield; Pegasus
     Crown of Command
     Dragonhelm

16 Knightly Orders @ 423.0 Pts
     Barding; Full Plate Armor; Great Weapons; Standard; Musician; Preceptor; Warhorse
     Standard of Discipline

15 Knightly Orders @ 395.0 Pts
     Barding; Full Plate Armor; Great Weapons; Standard; Musician; Preceptor; Warhorse
     Banner of the Eternal Flame

5 Pistoliers @ 90.0 Pts

5 Outriders @ 105.0 Pts

1 Steam Tank @ 300.0 Pts

Total Army Cost: 2247.0

You may notice that this is an all-cavalry army. I figure the Steam Tank goes quite well with the theme. It's my mobile artillery to go with the mobile missile troops in the Outriders and Pistoliers. 2 characters go into each block of cavalry, making them 18 and 17 models in size. Each unit will have hatred due to a Warrior Priest/Arch Lector. 

This army will be fighting uphill in the Watchtower scenario, since I can't actually occupy the building. This doesn't really fuss me. I figure it's time I give the all-cavalry build a go. It may have gotten smacked about in my 1 practice game thus far, but other than that, nothing could possibly go wrong...


No comments:

Post a Comment