Tuesday 22 January 2019

The Cancon Brotherhood

At New Years my family asked me to come up with a New Years resolution. These are not something I really go for, but my response was that I was hoping to get back into my hobby more and do a better job of updating the blog. I was then told it had to be more specific than that - an actual, measurable goal. So I came up with this:

"I will do a blog post every week"

So... We are now 3 weeks into the new year, and I have managed precisely 0 blog posts before this one. Fair to say that I failed with impressive efficiency. No messing about here. Honestly, it's amazing how quickly the time passes by.

Having established that I am awful at New Years resolutions, I still hope to do better in the coming year in terms of my hobby. Whether that be painting or playing, either way it should result in updates on the blog. And truly, I think there will need to be a lot more gaming if I'm going to get any momentum up in terms of painting or modelling. What games I end up playing remains to be seen, however. For now, it's Kings of War.


Cancon is coming up again this weekend, so we'll be packing everything into the car for the 8 hour trip that is a well and truly established annual pilgrimage for us. Once again I have entered Kings of War, as it has sort of become my default choice. I have no great aspirations in terms of winning the event. If I win a couple of games, that will do. After all, I am very much a part-time player as of late.

In terms of army, I had been entertaining the idea of taking Dwarves. I've wanted to use them for ages, but have been put off by the sheer number of Dwarf armies that seem to be doing the rounds locally. I resolved to ignore that, and even played a single practice game with an army I threw together at the last minute. That practice game, against a super fast Elf army packed with cavalry and fliers, that somehow out-shot me as well, was enough to kill any enthusiasm I had for the Dwarves. Sure, the game went very poorly and it was partly due to my army selection and my lack of practice. But the game highlighted how helpless I would be against faster opponents (ie everyone), given I hadn't painted any Brock Riders or included any fast allies. It was very depressing. The Dwarves will require more thought.

In the meantime, I decided I needed to find an army with a bit more speed, and which wouldn't be too fiddly to play. With no practice and no real desire to think too hard, I wanted something that could more or less drive itself without a ton of interactions and careful play required. In the end I decided to make a Brotherhood list.

What you see there is:

  • 3 Hordes of Order of the Brotherhood (1 with Maccwar's Caterpillar Potion)
  • Regiment of the Order of the Abyssal Hunt
  • Regiment of the Order of Redemption
  • 2 Forsaken Beasts with Regeneration
  • 2 Exemplar Forsakers (1 with the Blade of Slashing)


It is a blunt instrument. A simple tool for a simple player. Do I expect it to do well? Probably not. I have no shooting or magic, so I have few options. I suspect decent players will have answers to what I bring to the table. But it will look funny as I drive across the field, and the 4 monsters might give me just enough tools to swing a couple of games in my favour. Either way, at least I should have nothing to fear from the chess timers used at the tournament!

As always, I will endeavour to take photos to chronicle my tournament. That is, if I don't pass out due to the conditions (each day of the event is forecast to be pushing 40 degrees Celsius!)...

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Sir, you may have failed to post bloggy things each week, but you DID make videos for youtube during two of them...
    I am sure this in some way counts, even if they were not wargame related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a soft excuse to me. Lego and wargaming "hobby" are still separate in my mind. Unless...

      Delete
    2. A lego based wargame does sound interesting.

      Delete
  2. Woooo, good to have you back, and potentially (*stern look*) catch you around the blogosphere a bit more often. The army is pretty intimidating, I'm particularly keen to see how it performs. Triple knight horde is 2-3 more hordes than I'm used to seeing!

    On the beasts, if I had to choose just 30 points in upgrades for them, I'm curious if I would have gone with regen. I'm an ensnare junkie, but regen works all the time (as long as the beast is alive!), so does seem better ... except 30 points could instead get them vicious breath attak (10) as well, giving you a bit of a shooting game / response to flyers. I may have gone with that and had the muppets puking on stuff - regen will help with shooting aggression and grinding, but typically people either don't mess with regeners or one shot them so you don't get to roll it. And given the nerve values in the army, the beasts sort of are two of the squishier targets.

    But I'm guessing that's immaterial at this point sooooo good luck all the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers!

      I have no idea if the regeneration will work out. I thought maybe they might be able to absorb a few charges to help the knights preserve their thunderous charge. We shall see...

      Delete