Monday 6 January 2020

New year update (everything is on fire)

So we're into a new year, and the blog is not yet dead! I know better than to make bold new year resolutions, but things are still ticking along.

The Goblin campaign has resulted in me getting a moderate amount of painting done, which is an improvement on how things were going beforehand. I posted previously about the first batch of squigs I got done. I then had to try to rush through another group and some handlers before the report in which I needed them. The squigs are basically done apart from static grass, but the handlers range from being about 80% done (the ones I needed for the game) through to 50% or less. Who know when I will actually get around to finishing these guys, or the remaining pile of partly painted squigs and mountain of undercoated squig hoppers...

Squigs, handlers and random assorted things in various states of completion. The pile of night goblins  behind the squigs was actually started for the campaign battle before I realised I was being too ambitious and cut them from the queue.

Squig handlers have turned out to be a bit confusing. I've got everything from 4th to 8th edition models mixed in here, including a few bonus snotlings. These long models with prodders are really not great for ranking up with squigs, so I've tried to use multi-basing and moving them around between models to resolve the issue. As you can see, some got more finished than others (pity the guys who didn't even get green skin yet)...

The campaign is on hold for now. Cancon is coming up in a few weeks, and I have decided to use League of Rhordia now that their rules are out for Kings of War 3rd Edition. I'm not planning anything too ambitious from a modelling perspective - a couple of winged doggies as Ancient Winged Aralez, and maybe a dozen Halflings. This shouldn't be too bad, except I'm away for the week before Cancon, so my time is sort of running out, and I have not yet made much progress...
Warlords of Erehwon Halflings gradually being painted up to try to hide in with my existing Lumpin Croop's lads. I'm a bit sad that many of the Halfling options have been cut from the Rhordia list in the most recent book, but I feel like I should try to include some of them in my list.

All of this could end up being academic, however. You may well be aware of the frankly apocalyptic bushfires currently affecting Australia, and right now it feels foolish to assume that we know what will be happening in a few weeks' time. The trip up to Canberra is a 7-8 hour drive, much of which could find itself heavily affected by smoke or even fire. If we get to a few days out from the event and we're not confident that we can safely travel there and back again, we'll likely be pulling the pin and giving it a miss for a year. 

A picture stolen from the BBC that gives some idea of the problem. Draw a line roughly between Melbourne and the ACT in that picture and... yeah...

Anyway, fortunately we don't have to made a decision until the last minute (our accommodation is very flexible in its cancellation policy). In the meantime I shall persevere and get my models ready for the tournament. Spare a thought for those who are far more affected by these events than I am likely to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment