Saturday 12 February 2022

More Slow Progress

We're nearly at the end of the third part of our Slow Grow challenge, and for once I'm actually comfortably ahead of schedule. I finished my nominated target of 12 Miners and an Organ Gun some time ago, and even did a sneaky unit filler (for a unit not currently involved in the Slow Grow). This is encouraging progress for my Dwarfs, but having extra time at the end of the month has been distracting...

Anyway, here is the stuff I was meant to be working on (well, mostly).

A small unit of miners, an organ gun and a unit filler grudge pony who really isn't meant to be here.
The miners are another strategic choice to round out my existing miner unit, which is also only 12 models. So now I've got 24, and I have the option of a steam drill
I need to work out how to get the phone to focus on more things at once. Anyway, the blurry thing is an organ gun. Well, the really blurry thing is a guy doing some sort of hat dance. But the organ gun itself was out-focused by the guy with the dragon taper stick thingy.
The unit filler was an opportunistic addition. I wanted to use the extra time to work on something that would help me long-term, without really changing my points total for the month. This guy was prepared to be included in my old warrior unit years ago, but has languished in the to-do pile alongside the second half of the unit since then.
These little Skull Pass grudge ponies are cute, and it's nice to find some sort of use for them. I was also looking at all the bits you get on the miner sprues, but don't have a firm plan for them yet.

So I was pretty happy with the progress I had made, and was even working on preparation for the next month. It's a "bonus" month, which means whatever we paint doesn't really have to legally work in our growing armies, and I've wanted a painted Anvil of Doom for a long time. I don't have proper flagpoles though, so I had some extra work to do.

All assembled and ready for paint.

Unfortunately there was a bit of a delay whilst I waited for some plastic tube to fit to the brass rod of the flagpoles, and that it was during that delay that I saw this...

Tzar Boris, the old 6th edition character who rides on a polar bear.

This was a very bad influence. I've been waiting for the final chapter in Warhammer Total War, and its release is finally coming this week. I didn't realise you would be able to play Tzar Boris. I mean, I probably should have guessed. But seeing him there made me guilty about never having assembled and painted my model of him, and then that it turn made me think of all the Winged Lancers I had never made much progress on, and thinking about all the STL files I have with which I could print more Kislev stuff...

5 Kislev Winged Lancers, already on the painting table and partly painted.
A bundle more of them, who still have further to go.

Anyway, I had been inspired to start plotting what I could do with Kislev once the Dwarfs were out of the way at the end of the challenge, but that's going to take all year, and Noakes convinced me that I should just sneak this sort of stuff in alongside my specified monthly quotas. I'm sure he's a bad influence, but if I keep sitting down at the painting table regularly, I might find myself knocking over all sorts of longstanding goals that I've neglected. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment