Monday 15 October 2012

Axemaster and beyond

This coming weekend sees me involved in yet another tournament. Axemaster will most likely be the last event on the local calendar. This is probably a good thing, as I'm about ready for a break. I always make resolutions to step back and attend fewer tournaments, then end up getting caught up in the social aspect of things when lots of other people are going.

Axemaster will also be the final tournament to be included in the rankings system for this year, along with Castle Assault which is running at the same time up in New South Wales. The push to make Masters will be extremely tight this time - it looks like there are at least 8 players at Axemaster who could make the cut if they finish on the podium. 8 into 3 doesn't fit, so this could be a very competitive event.

As has been the case for the last couple of years now, I will be using an Empire list in the event, incorporating a couple of things I haven't used before. In this case I'm introducing an Arch Lector on War Altar and a Celestial Hurricanum - so only 2 models, but very significant ones. I've already finished painting the War Altar and the Hurricanum is now well under way. I should have it ready on time. Here is my army list:


Arch Lector on War Altar
     General; Prayers of Sigmar; Great Weapon; Light Armour; 
     Talisman of Preservation
     Van Horstman's Speculum

Wizard Lord of the Light Order
     Magic Level 4; 
     White Cloak of Ulric
     Fencer's Blades

Captain of the Empire
     Barding; Full Plate Armor; Battle Standard; Warhorse
     Charmed Shield
     Talisman of Endurance
     Biting Blade

51 Halberdiers
     Standard; Musician; Sergeant
     Detachment - 6 Archers

9 Knights of the Inner Circle
    Standard; Musician; Barding; Shields; Lances
     Banner of the Eternal Flame

28 Flagellants

4 Demigryph Knights 
     Standard; Musician; Barding; Shields; Lances

Great Cannon

Celestial Hurricanum

Steam Tank


TOTAL: 2498 points

I think the list will do well. It's a pretty decent balance of combat and magic, with a couple of cannons (including the Steam Tank) thrown in for good measure. I'd say it's one of the toughest Empire lists I've put together, so we'll see how it goes. If I can avoid any serious strategic blunders like I pulled in game 5 of Book of Grudges, I should be right up there.

And once Axemaster is out of the way, wait... What's that? Do I hear banjos?


Duelling Paintbrushes 2 is coming! Last time around it was just Owen and me, but this time it looks like we could have a dozen people from the club involved, a number of whom have blogs that they will be updating. Whilst a lot of us will be painting Warhammer Fantasy armies (1000pts over the month of November), there will also be Bolt Action, 40K, Warmachine and Infinity offerings. Should be suitably confusing. This won't be so much a duel as an all-in brawl...
The rules are already up on Owen's blog, and preparations are underway.

I have a rough plan for what I intend to paint for this, however I'll wait until Axemaster is over and I've had a chance to pull out all the models before I go through the list. Suffice to say, it will be difficult to get it all done in a month. But that's a problem for later...

No comments:

Post a Comment