Sunday 24 August 2014

Converted Ogre Firebelly WIP

We're now into the week leading up to Rumble in the Bronx, and I am still not close to ready. I have not been idle, however. I have started painting my converted Steam Tank/Ironblaster thingy, and I even have the first of my character models ready for paint!

The only magic in my list for the weekend is a level 1 Firebelly with the Ruby Ring. I quite like the proper Firebelly model, but never bought one and don't intend to. Instead I figured I would make an Ogre-sized Bright Wizard, based on one of the old 4th edition Empire models. It fits my theme better. Anyway, I put him together last week and he is now undercoated and ready to go, if a little rough...
My concept model on the left, and the very early WIP Ogre on the right. I started with some cloned legs and a torso I already had in a bag, and ended up using real plastic Ogre arms and a head.
Here he is by himself. Long way to go yet.
After a couple of goes at him with green stuff, this was how he looked. The lantern is off the Steam Tank I murdered to make my Ironblaster.
The view from the rear. At this point he's obviously been filed a bit to clean up some of the roughness.
After another couple of bouts of work, this is as far as he's getting. He's a bit rough, but paint will probably help.
I've copied some of the detail from the human model, but generally this guy is less detailed.
This was as close as I got to copying the human wizard's staff. I cut up a plastic Warhammer Quest bat, and then turned it into a dragon-ish sort of thing. Again, I am relying upon the paint to clean it up a bit and make it look the part. Hopefully I'm not expecting too much from that step...
So once I have this guy painted (or maybe in between painting steps), I need to start work on my other 3 characters - Tyrant, BSB and Hunter. I kinda sorta maybe know how I want them to look. I'd better get that sorted. I only have 4 evenings left to work on them. This is going to be tight.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. A little too much rushing, yeah...

      Delete
    2. Was up to 1 last night glueing leaves onto bases, then painting the bases border...

      Delete
  2. Less blogging more painting, if you are anything like me, once you're finished updating your own you then look over everyone elses updates. And thus the minis sit quietly on the bench contemplating fancy new duds, (or a lick of paint)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah! The Hobby Fiend blogs with his feet while he paints with his hands!

      Delete
    2. Given that my painting and sculpting are a fair bit rougher than my typing, I think it might be the other way around. I should look into that.

      Delete
  3. Huzzah! I for one welcome our new fire-magic wielding ogre overlords.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping his performance on the battlefield merits such a reaction!

      Delete
  4. Love the concept. Really cool idea!

    ReplyDelete