Wednesday 22 December 2021

Slow Grow Part 1 Complete

This post comes about a week late, but you'll just have to take my word for it that I actually did manage to get my first "month" (really a first effort of 2 months in one go). The deadline was the 15th, and I finished painting at about 11pm that evening. Depending on your perspective, I either barely got there, or planned it perfectly...

The last part of my first month target was a pair of bolt throwers. Actually, this is a lie. It was originally 10 warriors, but by the time I got to them after painting hammerers and thunderers, and with time gradually sliding away, I decided to change my goals. The bolt throwers were always going to be on the list at some point given that I didn't have any painted, and it was a bit more interesting than yet another group of 10 troops. So here we are.

2 Dwarf bolt throwers with their crew. The crew are actual GW models, but the bolt throwers I 3D printed using a model someone uploaded to Thingiverse, which appears to be based on the model in Total War. It certainly looks like it.
I much prefer these models to the actual metal GW ones I have sitting here. The addition of wheels and the squarer rather than really long shape just appeals to me more. I have no idea what I'll do with the original models.
Despite them being a better shape, I still failed to really load the models up with colour. They're still mostly steel in appearance, although I did go for a rope rather than a cable in an effort to break it up a bit.
I may add some runes to the coloured round bits on the front. We'll see if I'm inspired. I've done a couple of freehand things on banners this month, so it's not completely out of the question.
I deliberately made a green and a blue bolt thrower, just so they could easily be distinguished in-game. This feels important where they may well have distinct rune combinations.
Like the machines, I sort of made a "green" and "blue" team of crewmen. Might as well tie them in a bit.
I didn't particularly like painting these sculpts. I found them (things like their muscles in particular) to be very angular and sharp. Somehow just wasn't really to my tastes.
And here we have the entirety of my first 500 points. Apologies to the hammerers who can't be seen at all due to the poor placement of Ungrim's banner. I failed them.

With the first month out of the way, I pretty much immediately set about deciding what I would paint next. I got them ready in a quick flurry of activity, and have done basically nothing to them since, because I am a bad hobbyist with poor time management. No doubt they will get done in the back end of the month, after Christmas. Bit much going on at the moment.

10 more thunderers and 2 engineers. That's actually 260 out of my 250 target, but that's close enough. There's a sneaky third engineer in the background who already has the start of a paintjob from a previous owner. He may yet sneak in along with his friends. We will see how tight the time is.

I'll try to gather a couple of photos of how some of the others are getting along. Success has been mixed, surprising nobody. Nevertheless, some of the specific efforts have indeed surprised me. 'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment