Wednesday 30 March 2022

Retro hammertime!

Well it has been a tragically long time since my previous post, and I've only just finally managed to finish painting the Anvil of Doom. I did eventually finish the campaign in Total War, and from that point I spent basically every evening working on this thing. It took longer than it should have, but that's really down to the banners and a couple of points where I hamstrung by indecision about how to approach things (notably the colours on the anvil itself).

One Herohammer-era Runelord on his Anvil of Doom, back when they had wheels. They didn't tend to get bases back then though, so you know this guy is special.
This is closer to what the colours actually look like on the table. I'm still struggling to figure out my phone controls using the lightbox.
The twin anvil guards, painted much the same as they were back in the 4th edition Dwarf army book.
The whole thing has basically be done with colours inspired by the original pictures, although generally done using my own approach rather than however they did things back then.
Those damned banners. They're not actually very well pushed in here. I need to work them into the holes further. They should fit - I think it's just a question of paint getting in the way.
I had real trouble deciding how to do the yellows on the anvil itself. I didn't want to just plaster the thing in metallic gold - I figured that wouldn't look right. I settled for an orange base worked up to yellow (as opposed to a golden-brown base, which I often use), and I'm happy enough with the finished effect.
Such bright colours. I really do have a lot of nostalgia for GW's "red period". And it feels right on these older models.

A Runelord on an Anvil of Doom is a minimum of 290 points from your Lord allowance, so this guy can't sneak into any army below about 1200 points. So now that he's finally done (about half a month late), I need to get on with some more Core points to push the legal value of the army up if I ever want to field him. Given I've only done Thunderers so far, I figure I really need to do some Warriors or Longbeards. Sounds easy, right? Just grab some off the shelf and paint them? Not a tough decision...

Someone in this picture is about to start being painted, whether it's the undercoated Warriors sitting up on their perch, or the Kyoushuneko Longbeards prowling around on the ground. I just need to make some decisions...

2 comments:

  1. Love the progress of your slow grow. Just recently finished up 3 months worth for a Warhammer Army Project slow grow with friends. That Anvil really turned out well, love the old school vibe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, the slow grow is useful for ensuring I keep coming back to the army, even when I get pretty badly derailed like I did last month thanks to these banners. It's a good influence.

      Delete