Sunday 13 August 2023

Mercenary Ogre Tyrant

Axemaster is in less than a week, and I've been making reasonable progress on my preparations.

I now have a new Ogre Tyrant model, made to try to tie in with the armoured aesthetic of Ricco's Republican Guard and Voland's Venators. This is important, because they will all be in my list, and it's important to focus on capturing the vibe when winning most of my games is probably off the table...

One heavily armoured Ogre with a very large hammer. I struggled to decide on colours for him, and in the end the hammer grip was kind of me not making a decision at all - there was room for both colours!
The cape really could do with some sort of fancy design on it, given it's a large area that dominates the back of the model. For now it's just helping the model visibly stand out - makes it easier to shoot him with artillery. The skull on the shoulder is pretty rough. I was out of patience waving around green stuff, and just needed something to add some interest to the plain shoulder guards. If anything it probably actually looks better here than it does in real life...
This shoulder is meant to be a pile of gold coins. Again, any real desire to to be fancy or detailed with it was kind of exhausted.
The face (which was largely chosen at random) and the wolf icons holding his cape on are the only plastic bits of the model. The rest is all putty.
This was an early work in progress. The legs, torso, feathers and hammer were old cloned components I found in my bits bags. The arms started off that way, but got modified pretty heavily (especially the hammer hand - that's new from the elbow down). The helmet was just sculpted in place and is a little rough, but sort of does the job. The hammer was really too long - the posing on the rock was partly just to give him a bit more height to accommodate it. I probably should have trimmed it further.
This was after a later pass or two, when the earlier putty had cured. I gave him his cape, fixed his feet a bit, and added the belt and pouch to tidy up his middle. Add the details on the shoulder guards, and he's good enough to tie in with my other custom jobs.

There are things I'd like to come back to on the model, like adding some more detail to his weapon as well as the cloak detailing. I guess it could happen, but right now I've moved onto Braganza's Besiegers. The clock is ticking, and getting things tabletop ready is the priority.

Hopefully I'll have time to post the Besiegers before the tournament, in which case I'll share my questionable army list then as well. Until then!


No comments:

Post a Comment